Best Time To Sell A Home
The best time to sell your home is when you have made a decision to do so with the agreement of most family members. There should be a plan in place to chart out the following:
- Where will you be moving to?
- When will you be moving?
- Start making a list of what you would enjoy about your next living arrangement. (area, amenities, type of home, shared complex or private, assisted living or independence)
- Understand the financial and timing implications of buying a new home first versus selling your existing home first. Timing is very critical.
- If you are unable to maintain the up keep of your home any longer than this is the time to start seriously thinking about perhaps downsizing (make a plan as to an area that you’d like to move to and also consider a living complex that includes services to address the life stage that you are currently in. (ie: need medical assistance, structured meals, elevator)
- What are the conditions of the real estate market in your local area (sellers market or buyers market). Everyone is excited with a hot sellers market but be careful to understand what is the inventory of houses on the market and if are you prepared to be part of a multiple offer situation. If you are considering moving, perhaps it is not a bad idea to ask your real estate agent to print out all homes that have a Days On Market that is over 60 days.
- Do a comparable analysis on similar houses in your neighbourhood to understand current market value and the feasibility of moving (are you upsizing, downsizing).
- At no time should you be pressured to sell your house by anyone. The last thing a person wants to do is to make a quick pressured decision due to family members or other third parties and end up living in an area or living situation that they do not feel comfortable in.
- Contact me for a free consultation if you would like to discuss your current living situation and if you have a plan set forth of any up and coming lifestyle change. I am a Seniors Real Estate Specialist® after having earned this Designation through The National Association of REALTORS®.